Got a new tag in you? Then we encourage you to enter our FIRST EVER Tag Writing Contest! We want to get more people involved with composing and arranging tags for men, women and/or mixed voices, and share their tags with fellow barbershoppers! Click here for rules and regulations (updated 8/18).
Male and female barbershoppers are eligible to enter in the contest categories below. Click here for suggested vocal ranges and staff notation guidelines.
I. Tag for Female Voices: written by Barbershoppers who have published tags and/or arrangements
II. Tag for Female Voices: written by Barbershoppers who have NOT published tags or arrangements
III. Tag for Male Voices: written by Barbershoppers who have published tags and/or arrangements
IV. Tag for Male Voices: written by Barbershoppers who have NOT published tags or arrangements
V. Tag for Mixed Voices: written by Barbershoppers who have published tags and/or arrangements
VI. Tag for Mixed Voices: written by Barbershoppers who have NOT published tags or arrangements
One (1) winner per category with one category winner chosen to be the Grand Prize Winner.
Cash prizes are funded by North by Northwest Region 13.
- Grand Prize: $200
- Other five category winners: $50
- Scholarship assistance for HCNW Arrangers Workshop: TBD
- Each contestant may submit up to 3 (three) entries. An entry form is available here.
- Entries may be submitted by email or by US Postal Service mail.
- All submissions must be solely the work of the entrant and based on public domain or original material.
- Length of tag must be 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 or 14 measures.
- Entries must be written for 4-part barbershop voicing and may be submitted either in barbershop-style music manuscript format or audio recording.
- Entries must be email dated or USPS postmarked no later than midnight PST January 31, 2019.
$5.00 (USD) per tag entered; checks payable to North by Northwest Region 13. Please mail them to Janice Wheeler; PO Box 351; Prineville, OR 97754. (See entry form.)
Entries will be judged by the criteria below; complete rules and regulations are available here (updated 8/18).
- Singability: Is the tag singable by most barbershop singers (range, tessitura, vocal lines, chord vocabulary)?
- Creativity: Is it more than just the same old chord progressions, lyrics and melodies?
- WOW Factor: Does it make the singer go, “Wow!”?
- Contestants retain ownership of their tag entries, and agree to publish with the required Creative Commons license when they are declared winners.
- Winners are encouraged to attend the 2019 HCNW General Session to be recognized.
- Winners agree that their winning tags may be compiled and published at the official websites and/or official prlnt and digital arms of Harmony College Northwest, North by Northwest Region 13, and Evergreen District (and if requested, by Sweet Adelines lnternational and Barbershop Harmony Soclety) to be freely available to all barbershoppers and barbershop organizations at no charge.