The "new and improved" North by Northwest Region 13 began on May 1, 2013 when eight choruses from the now-disbanded Mount 'n Shore Region 24 became part of Region 13. Here are some fun facts about our wonderful new region:
• Our region boasts 28 chapters, more than 40 quartets, 9 judges, 1 certified arranger and over 1100 members.
• The chorus with the longest charter is Seattle Shores, in Seattle, WA (shown right, from 1953); and the youngest chorus is Song of Seattle, which chartered in 2016.
• Region 13 members Paula Davis (Song of Seattle), Carole Kirkpatrick Persinger (Pacific Sound; now deceased) and Zoe Thompson (Lakeside) are past Sweet Adelines International Presidents. Janice McKenna is a current SAI Board Member, and we have had numerous other board and committee members at the International level, as well.
• We can lay claim four International Quartet Champions! The most recent is the 2017 Queens of Harmony, Frenzy! The Sea-Adelines (1962), Touche' (2013), and Speed of Sound (2015) also have Region 13 members. Two choruses--Lakeside (now A Cappella Joy) and Pacific Sound--have placed third at International, and are our highest-placing chapters on the contest stage. Additionally, Region 13 boasts six Harmony 500 directors, five Master Directors; and, two Master 700 Directors: Ryan Heller (Pride of Portland) and Carole Kirkpatrick Persinger (Pacific Sound; now deceased).
• With chapters in Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington, our Region covers over 800,000 square miles
• Record temperatures range from a low of -66° in Fairbanks, AK, home to our Fairbanks Chapter, to a high of 115° in Lewiston, ID, near our Inland Harmony Chapter.
• The highest point in our Region is Alaska's Mt. McKinley, at 20,320'...and the lowest is 0'/sea level, found at choruses near the Pacific Ocean in Oregon, Washington and Alaska.
• The biggest crops here are wheat, potatoes, apples and onions, and we're the home of Adidas, Alaska Airlines, Albertson, Amazon, Boeing, Coldwater Creek, Great Harvest Bread, Nike, and Starbucks!
• Seattle has the most people (3.5 million in the metropolitan area as of 2013); Genesee--home to our Inland Harmony Chapter--has the fewest with a population around 1000.
• We have lots of trees, lots of precipitation, and lots of fun!
Welcome to our Region!