2019-2020 Tag Writing Contest
It's time for the next Tag Writing Contest to get underway! The purpose of this Contest is to encourage barbershoppers in Region 13 or Evergreen District, plus HCNW attendees, to get involved with composing and arranging tags for men’s, women’s, and mixed voices, and to freely share their tags with fellow barbershoppers. The Contest was first announced in June 2018, with the winners announced at the Region 13 Convention in April of 2019 (see below for results!).
Below are the rules and regulations, the official entry form, and some tips. If you have any questions, please contact Janice Wheeler / [email protected].
- 2019-2020 Tag Writing Contest Terms & Conditions
- 2019-2020 Tag Writing Contest Entry Form
- Suggested Vocal Ranges and Staff Notation
- 2019-2020 Tips #1 (Oct 2019)
- 2019-2020 Tips #2 (Nov 2019)
- Tip Packet for writing tags for women's voices (from 2018-2019 Tag Writing Contest)
- Tip Packet for writing tags for men's voices (from 2018-2019 Tag Writing Contest)
2018-2019 Tag Writing Contest Winners
Our FIRST EVER Tag Writing Contest has wrapped up. The purpose of the Contest was to encourage barbershoppers in Region 13 or Evergreen District, plus HCNW attendees, to get involved with composing and arranging tags for men’s, women’s, and mixed voices, and to freely sharing their tags with fellow barbershoppers. The Contest was first announced in June 2018; entry deadline was January 31st, 2019. Cash prizes for the winning tags were provided by Region 13, and a grant from the Bud Leabo Memorial Fund provided for five Registration Fee Scholarships to the 2019-2020 Arrangers WorkShop. A total of 20 tags were entered into 4 categories by 10 tag writers. The contest was judged by Kevin Keller, a tag-writing contest veteran who has judged tag writing contests in both the Central States District and the Illinois District of the Barbershop Harmony Society for several years.
The winners of the 2018-2019 Tag Writing Contest are:
- Category I: for Women’s Voices by a published composer/arranger: Carol Lord for What I Hate About Love
- Category II: for Women’s Voices by an unpublished composer/arranger: Cris Conerty for Sweetie Jim
- Category IV: for Men’s Voices by an unpublished composer/arranger: Darwin Scheel for I’m Alone and Blue
- Category VI: for Mixed Voices by an unpublished composer/arranger: Suzy Buerer for America
- Honorable Mention: Janice Wheeler for Happy Birthday!
Each non-Grand Prize Winning Category Winner received an Award Certificate and a check for $50.00. The best overall tag was declared our Grand Prize Winner and went to Darwin Scheel for his Tag I’m Alone and Blue. He received an award certificate, a check for $200.00 and a registration fee scholarship to the 2019 Region 13 Arrangers WorkShop at Harmony College Northwest. All of the non-Grand Prize Winning Entrants were included in the Drawing for four (4) additional Registration Fee Scholarships to the 2019 Region 13 Arrangers WorkShop provided by the grant received from the Bud Leabo Memorial Fund; the winning names were: James Warner, Cris Conerty, Carol Fogle, and Laura Hiserote.